About My Assignment to Haiti


Daniella will be working for three months in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as part of the MCC team, helping office staff improve accounting procedures to deal with the generous monetary response to the earthquake disaster in January 2010.

Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. To find out more about MCC, visit their website at http://mcc.org/.
While wanting to share my experience in Haiti with family and friends, I've also chosen to extend the invitation to my professional network, particularly those engaged in the field of accounting. I've been thinking a lot about Accountability lately. I'd like to invite you to join me, as I explore what accountability means to us as accountants, both within the global economy and the global community. I will attempt to explore this larger issues while describing a very specific case of how not for profits attempt to be accountable to donors for disaster relief funding in a very unique context.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dressing Nicely

Haitians like to dress nicely, and think that North Americans dress like slobs (although they won't say that to your face). It's true, too. If you come to Haiti, make sure to pack some nice clothes.
I am continually amazed. I am amazed at how Haitians dress in white, and don't get dirty, in the midst of filth. I am amazed at the effort Haitians go to wash laundry, in spite of the effort it takes to find water and manually scrub their clothing spotless, even in tent camps or in the countryside. (I tried to wash my clothing by hand once when the electricity was out for a few days. It's a lot of work. Try it sometime!) Dressing up for work or church on Sundays is undertaken with a great deal of pride and care. On any given day you are sure to see someone publicly having a bath - right on the street or in the river.
This will not be the first thing you'll notice when you come to Haiti. You'll notice the garbage and filth. But don't let this fool you. Haitians do value cleanliness. I guess we all live with our own contradictions, don't we?

No comments: