About My Assignment to Haiti


Daniella will be working for three months in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as part of the MCC team, helping office staff improve accounting procedures to deal with the generous monetary response to the earthquake disaster in January 2010.

Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. To find out more about MCC, visit their website at http://mcc.org/.
While wanting to share my experience in Haiti with family and friends, I've also chosen to extend the invitation to my professional network, particularly those engaged in the field of accounting. I've been thinking a lot about Accountability lately. I'd like to invite you to join me, as I explore what accountability means to us as accountants, both within the global economy and the global community. I will attempt to explore this larger issues while describing a very specific case of how not for profits attempt to be accountable to donors for disaster relief funding in a very unique context.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Doing My Part

Friday was quite a day. Winding up my work here before returning to Canada, I thought I'd get out of the office and join our engineer for a day. MCC is partnering with some local partners to repair housing for handicapped people and were out assessing homes. I was confronted with the hard reality of the earthquake in a way I had never experienced before. The handicapped were telling us their stories in their own ways - through their silence, photos of dead loved ones pulled from the debris, or hand signs of the mute that needed no translation. We saw homes that were so damaged that I had no idea how anyone walked out alive, but they did, and continue to do so on a daily basis.

How I wish that I was an engineer, a nurse ..... even God maybe, so that I could change lives and provide hope. But I'm just an accountant. It feels like a dirty word around here sometimes - the ones who ask for receipts and create extra paperwork, taking you away from your real work. My only consolation is that accounting provides the information you need to manage your resources effectively, so beneficiaries are better served, and more handicapped homes are repaired. Is that worth something? Are we using our resources effectively?

No comments: