About My Assignment to Haiti


Daniella will be working for three months in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as part of the MCC team, helping office staff improve accounting procedures to deal with the generous monetary response to the earthquake disaster in January 2010.

Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. To find out more about MCC, visit their website at http://mcc.org/.
While wanting to share my experience in Haiti with family and friends, I've also chosen to extend the invitation to my professional network, particularly those engaged in the field of accounting. I've been thinking a lot about Accountability lately. I'd like to invite you to join me, as I explore what accountability means to us as accountants, both within the global economy and the global community. I will attempt to explore this larger issues while describing a very specific case of how not for profits attempt to be accountable to donors for disaster relief funding in a very unique context.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Working in Haiti

Well, I've finished one full week of work in Haiti. I've sat at a desk reviewing accounting procedures and transactions. All around me staff are scurrying about, exploring building project possibilities in devastated regions of the country, receiving updates on material aid delivery trucks stuck in the mud, or working with local organization to support buying local produce.


Accounting isn't the most glamorous job. Who wouldn't rather be out there, helping people and making things happen? Accountability sometimes gets in the way - just more senseless paperwork. Don't pretend you haven't thought that once in awhile. Yet, accountability is important. How else do you know if you've used your resources efficiently, achieved your objectives, or satisfied your stakeholders?


Needing to get out of the office, I asked if I could tag along with a team heading out to Citie Soleil, a notorious slum area, to investigate the possibility of partnering with a local group to open a youth centre. I felt physically ill at the sight and smell of the canal washing away the city's waste through the slum area into the ocean (to be washed up in Cuba, I hear). However, I was also inspired by the optimism and dreams of the youth leaders, warmed by the obvious pride of some local residents in their nice tents (made in Winkler, Manitoba), and pulled in all directions by children vying for a finger of mine to hold.

1 comment:

Michael Thom said...

Isn't Citie Soleil heartbreaking & encouraging all at once? It's hard to believe people can live like that day in and day out without giving up all hope, yet you meet those determined to use their experience to better their community and nation.