About My Assignment to Haiti


Daniella will be working for three months in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as part of the MCC team, helping office staff improve accounting procedures to deal with the generous monetary response to the earthquake disaster in January 2010.

Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. To find out more about MCC, visit their website at http://mcc.org/.
While wanting to share my experience in Haiti with family and friends, I've also chosen to extend the invitation to my professional network, particularly those engaged in the field of accounting. I've been thinking a lot about Accountability lately. I'd like to invite you to join me, as I explore what accountability means to us as accountants, both within the global economy and the global community. I will attempt to explore this larger issues while describing a very specific case of how not for profits attempt to be accountable to donors for disaster relief funding in a very unique context.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Missed My Own Party

As my time in Haiti drew to a close, I decided to buy a goat and prepare a special meal as a show of appreciation to the staff for all they had done for me. We bought the goat in advance to help trim the grass in our back yard. This goat was the topic of many a dinner time conversation over the next few weeks. What should we name him? Who knew how to make head soup? Could you eat blood pudding and still participate in communion?

The fateful day remains vivid in my memory. Our office assistant performed the dirty deed in his Sunday best dress pants and polished black shoes, while the goat, apparently quite willingly, quietly gave himself up for our gastronomical pleasure. It made me sick to watch. Actually, I soon discovered I really was sick. The next day I was sicker than a dog, and missed the whole party.

I heard the feast was enjoyed by more than 40 people. A few visitors conveniently stopped by, and we took the opportunity to invite an official from the embassy down the street we'd been wanting to get to know better. The party was a big hit. Too bad I missed it!

No comments: