About My Assignment to Haiti


Daniella will be working for three months in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as part of the MCC team, helping office staff improve accounting procedures to deal with the generous monetary response to the earthquake disaster in January 2010.

Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. To find out more about MCC, visit their website at http://mcc.org/.
While wanting to share my experience in Haiti with family and friends, I've also chosen to extend the invitation to my professional network, particularly those engaged in the field of accounting. I've been thinking a lot about Accountability lately. I'd like to invite you to join me, as I explore what accountability means to us as accountants, both within the global economy and the global community. I will attempt to explore this larger issues while describing a very specific case of how not for profits attempt to be accountable to donors for disaster relief funding in a very unique context.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Dedication

I dedicate this blog to those who don't always get to do the "fun stuff", but are committed to taking care of business at home base. I dedicate this blog to my husband and children, who made this trip possible by covering for me at home. I dedicate this blog to those who would love to go on a service trip, as I was priviledge to do, but are committed to responsibilities at home. Finally, I dedicate this blog to accountants, who keep the financial house in order, so that the critical work of carrying on a business or service can be performed in a transparent, efficient and responsible manner.

1 comment:

Nestor R. Bogoya said...

Daniella,
Thank you very much for sharing today. Yes, accountability to the beneficiary, a big thing and a very important subject to address. We all want things to change, but sometimes the way we want. We cannot change cultures to adapt to our own, which means that changes must happen the way a culture functions and live. Perhaps, we all have to learn about this, but certainly people in the North much more.