About My Assignment to Haiti


Daniella will be working for three months in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as part of the MCC team, helping office staff improve accounting procedures to deal with the generous monetary response to the earthquake disaster in January 2010.

Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. To find out more about MCC, visit their website at http://mcc.org/.
While wanting to share my experience in Haiti with family and friends, I've also chosen to extend the invitation to my professional network, particularly those engaged in the field of accounting. I've been thinking a lot about Accountability lately. I'd like to invite you to join me, as I explore what accountability means to us as accountants, both within the global economy and the global community. I will attempt to explore this larger issues while describing a very specific case of how not for profits attempt to be accountable to donors for disaster relief funding in a very unique context.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Would love to hear your opinion,,,,

Since I've been here with MCC in Haiti, I've been learning how MCC operates their programs and recommended a few office procedures and opportunities to improve their financial reporting. I now have a little time to broaden the scope of my "accountability review".

MCC does a lot of good work here, with close to 20 projects in this year alone, and more being planned. They have projects to provide employment cleaning out debris from irrigation canals, reforestation projects, training local home builders how to use proper materials and techniques, feeding programs at schools for restavecs (child slaves), trauma counseling training, and so much more.

How do they accomplish so much with a staff of only 20? Located in Haiti since the 50s, MCC is well integrated into the local community. A lot of the work they now do, is actually accomplished through local partners. This approach builds local capacity and ensures the relevance and long term sustainability of our programs. I think this approach makes a lot of sense.

With my auditing perspective, I quickly realize that a large percentage of our budget is actually being spent outside our organization, adding a another dimension to the accountability issue. I welcome some input from my accounting and auditing colleagues, and donors, too! What are some risks inherent in this approach, and what are some ways MCC can address these risks? (Narrative and financial reports from partners are already required.) If anyone has knowledge of cultural issues, this would also be valuable.

No comments: