About My Assignment to Haiti


Daniella will be working for three months in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as part of the MCC team, helping office staff improve accounting procedures to deal with the generous monetary response to the earthquake disaster in January 2010.

Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. To find out more about MCC, visit their website at http://mcc.org/.
While wanting to share my experience in Haiti with family and friends, I've also chosen to extend the invitation to my professional network, particularly those engaged in the field of accounting. I've been thinking a lot about Accountability lately. I'd like to invite you to join me, as I explore what accountability means to us as accountants, both within the global economy and the global community. I will attempt to explore this larger issues while describing a very specific case of how not for profits attempt to be accountable to donors for disaster relief funding in a very unique context.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Staff Retreat at the Beach

Standing on a floating dock, I stare down into the clear aqua water at a Haitian beach - an unreal world in an unreal world. I struggle to find myself in the beauty and solitude of this new Haitian context. Closing my eyes, I dive into the water, imagining myself diving off the dock into the lake in north western Ontario, my summer morning ritual. Once again I feel grounded, connected with a part of me I still recognize.

We just came back from a few days at the beach with our international and local staff - all 70 of us. We were a noisy, boisterous bunch. There was alot of laughing, singing, and playing - a much needed release for those who had lost family members and homes in the earthquake. We even managed to take advantage of the beautiful setting to slip in a wedding. Considering they had been married for 24 years, there was no question about commitment!

No comments: