About My Assignment to Haiti


Daniella will be working for three months in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as part of the MCC team, helping office staff improve accounting procedures to deal with the generous monetary response to the earthquake disaster in January 2010.

Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. To find out more about MCC, visit their website at http://mcc.org/.
While wanting to share my experience in Haiti with family and friends, I've also chosen to extend the invitation to my professional network, particularly those engaged in the field of accounting. I've been thinking a lot about Accountability lately. I'd like to invite you to join me, as I explore what accountability means to us as accountants, both within the global economy and the global community. I will attempt to explore this larger issues while describing a very specific case of how not for profits attempt to be accountable to donors for disaster relief funding in a very unique context.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ravine Dwellers

Behind mounds of stinky garbage that guard the entry to the ravine when approaching from the street, is a hidden world which I feel priviledged to share in some small way, as it runs behind the home where I stay. These ravines, belonging to the state, are storm sewers, carrying away the torrential rains and garbage that flow freely from this city. Yet many people have chosen to make their home here.

These people live life out loud. While only allowed one small peak through a broken fence, the sounds that eminate from the ravine need no visuals. They are happy sounds of laughter, excited conversation, singing and making music by drumming on whatever they can lay their hands on.

Just yesterday, I heard the ravine children singing "We are the world, we are it's children". Have you seen the Youtube video yet for "We are The World 25 for Haiti" released in February 2010 to raise for funds for Haiti? Check out the link at the side. Yes, children really do dance and sing amid the rubble, as portrayed in the video. I know, because they live in the ravine in my backyard.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so very interesting - I love the idea of music and laughter coming from a garbage- soaked ravine. How extrordinary!

peter grafe said...

your descriptions are so vivid, Daniella. I'm just guessing but the smells also cross the walls, am I right? You were enjoying a pumpkin soup the other day - nice...the surrounding look fabulous too.

Elizabeth said...

I love reading your blog, Daniella! So very interesting!