About My Assignment to Haiti


Daniella will be working for three months in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as part of the MCC team, helping office staff improve accounting procedures to deal with the generous monetary response to the earthquake disaster in January 2010.

Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. To find out more about MCC, visit their website at http://mcc.org/.
While wanting to share my experience in Haiti with family and friends, I've also chosen to extend the invitation to my professional network, particularly those engaged in the field of accounting. I've been thinking a lot about Accountability lately. I'd like to invite you to join me, as I explore what accountability means to us as accountants, both within the global economy and the global community. I will attempt to explore this larger issues while describing a very specific case of how not for profits attempt to be accountable to donors for disaster relief funding in a very unique context.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Nestled in the corn fields and rolling hills of Pennsylvania, Akron is the not the place I expected to find such a stimulating, inspiring and totally amazing group of people heading out to all corners of the globe with a vision of improving the lives of their global brothers and sisters, while in turn being enriched by them. I forget sometimes that I am still in North America, as the architecture and decor of the MCC headquarters is exquisitely inspired by many visits to distant lands.

I am here in Akron to attend orientation designed by Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) to prepare workers who are leaving for assignments within the year. At the end of the week I will be heading to Haiti for three months to help MCC improve accounting procedures needed to address the generous monetary response to Haiti's devastating earthquake. There is so much material to read, people to talk to, thoughts and emotions to process!

2 comments:

naomi said...

Thanks Dani - we look forward to tagging along with you on this journey. You are a brave soul to take on such a challenge! And kudos to Tom and kids for supporting you.

Naomi said...

Daniella, this is so interesting - you are really giving us a well-written, interesting descriptive of what this experience is like. And the photo-journalism is awesome, keep it up!